• October 27Perspectives Issue Available Now!

3 Places To Get a Sandwich

Brett Norris, Staff

Firehouse Subs

3710 Merle Hay Road

Firehouse Subs, located on the southwest corner of Merle Hay Road and Douglas Avenue, is a tasty new addition to the local selection of sub shops. This chain, founded in Florida, has brought its hot sandwiches, cold clubs, salads, and chili into a location convenient for residents of the Merle Hay or Beaverdale neighborhoods. If you’re on the hunt for a quick and casual restaurant within close proximity to Hoover, Firehouse Subs is the place for you.

Hagar’s Manhattan Deli

3705 Ingersoll Avenue

This exclusively local deli has been serving up homemade dishes out of a little shop on the corner of 37th Street and Ingersoll Avenue since 1982. Its wide selection of sandwiches allows for anyone to find something to suit their taste. Their sandwiches, however, are not the only factor playing into the quality of the Manhattan Deli. They offer a variety of soups, salads, sides, and desserts to either compliment your sub, or to enjoy individually. Don’t forget to try the savory broccoli cheese soup when you visit Hagar’s Manhattan Deli.

A Taste of Italy

8421 University Boulevard

A Taste of Italy serves not only as a local favorite sub shop, but also as a market for Italian products such as pasta, sauces, spices, and more, making it a unique member of this list. Featuring menu items such as sausage sandwiches, the Italian hoagie, and their delicious meatball sandwich, you are sure to find an option that satisfies your cravings. Stop by their Clive location and get your sandwich quick to go, or eat in and enjoy the friendly environment. And why not pick up a loaf of bread or a bag of meatballs from the grocery section while you’re at it?