Drugs v.s Students

Teachers views on the impact of marijuana on kids

Irvin Hernandez, Staff Member

It started with Colorado, it has spread to many other states like Massachusetts, Nevada, and Oregon. It will soon likely take over the entire nation.  The legalization of marijuana is becoming a very popular trend.

Drugs have always had an effect on students. It may distract them in the classroom or it may seem that it is damaging them, but overall drugs have had an impact on students. Whether its prescription drugs, alcohol, or marijuana, students struggle because of the substances. Many people have different opinions on which is worse for students, but Mr. Avery and Mr. Nydle have some strong opinions over it.

” I would probably say marijuana. Sometimes, marijuana may be more available to students than heavily regulated prescription drugs,” said Avery.

Nydle on the other hand had a more explicit view from various angles.

“It depends on the context. Impacts on what? If you’re talking about motivation and accountability, marijuana probably has the most negative effect. However, it is unlikely to be life threatening. The substances that are concerning me are the legal ones. Alcohol abuse is something that is hard to overcome, as is addiction and abuse of prescription drugs. I’m less concerned about the addictive properties of marijuana, as it is the prescriptions that are more addictive from a chemical dependency sense,” said Nydle.

Jeremy Avery and Joseph Nydle are two teachers at Hoover High School. Nydle has been at hoover for 3 years now, and Avery has been at hoover since the fall of 20. They both have strong opinions on the topic of these drugs, and what they can do to students and how it effects them. They know the effects of prescription drugs, alcohol, and marijuana.

Some students go to school under the influence or high, it can change the dynamics of how the dynamics of the classroom may change. It can also have no effect towards the way the teacher is teaching.

“Obviously, students who are under the influence of certain substances have difficulty remembering things. One of the side effects of marijuana use is inhibited memory. Both encoding and recall. This is problematic, given that students are in schools to learn,” said Avery.

Some teachers might not notice that students come to class under the influence. It may be really rare in certain classrooms.

” I can’t say I’ve been aware of a student being under the influence in class, BUT if that were the case, I could say that if in fact the student is in class and not out on the streets, and they are potentially learning something, I’ve already won. They’re in school. They’re safe, they’re learning. I win,” said Nydle.

Students participate in drug use or drinking for many different reasons. Some kids suffer from depression, others feel like it’s the only option, whatever the reason is, students are struggling from drug use.

” Sometimes, students are looking to escape. Even getting high for 30 minutes to an hour might provide that temporary escape. Most don’t realize that you can’t always hide from your reality,” said Avery.

Nydles opinion on why students participate in these activities is similar to what Avery believes. He said students do it because, ” The same reasons adults do. It’s a recreational escape from everyday pressures. Some students use it to self-medicate and cope with anxiety, depression, or overstimulation. Drugs are an escape and our kids are clearly trying to escape from something.”

Drugs can be very dangerous for students. It can distract them from school and can be harmful to them. But sometimes students are going through a very difficult time and feel like it’s an escape option. If you know anyone going through a tough time, help them out. The more students feel like drugs is their escape, the more difficult it will be for them to focus in school.