Ask Haris and Ashton: Catfishing

How do you know if you're being catfished?

Haris Ademovic, Staff

Online dating is a useful tool. Whether you’re looking for a serious relationship, or just a quick bit of fun, social media can get the job done. However, the internet is a very dangerous place where a little bit of fun can turn into a whole lotta trouble. A large chunk of this trouble comes from being catfished or as I like to call it, getting juked. Getting juked online is far more common than you’d think. For all you know, the thickie you believe to be behind that screen could be a serial killer.

So, how do you know if you’re being juked? First things first, catfish are in most cases unusually attractive. If you receive a photo of what looks like a model, you are most likely being catfished. An easy way to counter a catfish is by asking for a picture that can only be replicated if the person is actually who they say they are. For example, ask for a photo of the individual holding a fork upside down, holding 4 toothpicks, and a cheerio on their tongue. If they deny your request, cut it off, you’re being juked. This is a very efficient way of stopping the catfish in its tracks and preventing what could be your death.

Getting catfished (juked) is becoming increasingly common and increasingly dangerous. Always be cautious and stay safe on the internet. Never reveal any personal information until you have met the person and know for a fact that they are not a freshwater fish with whiskerlike barbels around the mouth. By using the tips I have provided, you should be able to stop a catfish before anything serious happens. Stay safe and eat fish.