The Case for Impeachment

Reasons Why Donald Trump is Unfit to be President

Olivia Proctor, Managing Editor

The definition of impeachment is to “accuse a public officer of misconduct”. Of our 45 Presidents, only three have been subjected to impeachment proceedings. Andrew Johnson in 1868 and Bill Clinton in 1998, both of which were acquitted and remained in office. The third, Richard Nixon, resigned to avoid removal due to impeachment in 1974.
The framers of the Constitution did not want the procedure to be overly simple to start, nor the penalty too easily worked around. So, the impeachment process is long and takes a lot of time to start. First, The House Committee on the Judiciary is usually charged with investigating the relevant allegations, and they determine that there are adequate grounds for impeachment.
Grounds for impeachment in the Constitution say that presidents and other federal officials can be impeached and removed from office only for “Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors.” So, the meaning and severity of crimes is up to the individual or individuals presenting the charge to the House. Then, the Senate votes on whether to convict the president of said charges.
So, now that we know how the impeachment process works, how does this relate to our current president, Donald Trump? While Trump has bragged about committing sex crimes, stoked racially motivated hysteria for personal gain, and just overall has no idea about half of what he talks about, those aren’t technically impeachable offences. The fact is, there is little actual proof of crimes that could result in impeachment. Beyond speculation of Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election and his following firing of FBI director James Comey and him claiming Trump had requested that the FBI drop its investigation into former national-security adviser Michael Flynn and his ties to Russia, we have very little proof at this moment of anything more than our president just being a liar.
But, there is something that we can impeach him for. And this involves his business relations with other countries. Going back to the constitution there is a thing called the Emoluments Clause, which says that no person holding office in our country can accept a present or money from a foreign state without Congress’ approval. This means Trump can’t accept money for any reason from any other countries’ high officials.
Many of the Trump Organization’s extensive business dealings with foreign governments, businesses owned by foreign governments, and other foreign leaders violate this ban. Some examples include China’s state-owned Industrial and Commercial Bank of China which is the largest tenant in Trump Tower and even can include payments by foreign diplomats for lodging, meeting space, or even food at his hotels.
Until more evidence is revealed from the FBI’s investigation into Trump, the legal case for impeachment stands on very little. That isn’t saying that we can’t do anything. What we, especially seniors and those who will be 18 by the 2018 elections, can do as much as they can by voting Democratic in the upcoming elections, ending Republicans’ majority in the House, and thereby limiting Trump’s power.
In the meantime, as Americans we need to remember that our president doesn’t reflect the views of our country, and that he should be a prime example that we should be kind to one another and not act in the same childish manner that the highest elected official in our country does.