Column i: Milk Menace

My fragile nose can't handle milk

Isabel Sullivan, Opinion Editor

Most people give themselves bloody noses by hitting their head on something, or getting punched, even falling down. However, it had been well established that I was not like most people by the time I was in 2nd grade, when within the first two months of school, I had given myself a multitude of nosebleeds from doing something so familiar to anyone in this school district; chugging milk at lunch. I don’t think this needs much backstory other than the fact that I had just started second grade, and I wanted people to be impressed with me. Being impressive was all the rage in 2008, and I needed to have some credibility, it was a new class and I needed a BFF fast if I wanted to spend recess doing something other than sitting under the slide and reading, 2nd grade was a fresh start.

Sometime in the first two weeks of school, the 3rd grade boys in my class carried out a long-held tradition for elementary schoolers, a milk chugging contest. The concept of this baffled me, but regardless, there was a competition, and I had to win. When it came to me, the time to beat was 25 seconds, and I was getting nervous.
What if I choked?
What if I choked and died?
What if I choked and died and they told my mom?
Concerns aside the most important thing was winning this competition and proving my credibility as an impressive 7-year-old.

I popped open my milk carton, and started chugging, about 10 seconds in I felt like I was going to choke. Now, the smart thing to do would’ve been to stop, but I didn’t do that, I needed to win. Time seemed to move in slow motion as I started to choke. Chocolate milk filled my nose. I would like to say that having milk in your nose is one of the least pleasant feelings I have ever experienced. I wouldn’t recommend it. There was milk all over my desk and at the time making sure that the teachers didn’t see was my first priority, so I didn’t notice that alongside the milk there was blood dripping out of my nose. I didn’t realize that I had a bloody nose until I saw the blood drip onto my forest green corduroy pants.

That’s when I was put on milk probation. I could only drink milk supervised, but that was a loophole I could get around, breakfast was minimally supervised. The probation lasted less than a month, because when the chugging competitions passed, all the second and third graders were onto the next competition.