Taking a stand…

By taking a knee

Track stars Tommie Smith and John Carlosnin 1968 protesting.

AP photo

Ruby Griffin, Staff

Colin Kaepernick is a former San Francisco 49ers player who protested against police brutality and social injustices in America during the national anthem. The NFL player started protesting by kneeling before games in 2016.

Junior Kennaujh Quinn is a student athlete who has protested against police brutality and social injustices. He shared his view on Kaepernick and kneeling as a protest.

“I’ve heard people don’t really like Colin Kaepernick and that he got kicked off the NFL team for protesting,” Quinn said.

Quinn advised that students should get knowledge on what they want to protest instead of being a follower.

“I would protest the flag, not what it stands for, but the song itself,” Quinn said.

According to the New York Times, Kaepernick’s critics have decided that by kneeling during the anthem, he is disrespecting America, the flag and fallen service members.

Also stated by New York Times, in youth sports, players take a knee when another player is hurt. It is an acknowledgement of the vulnerable humanity that, for the moment, has been obscured by the intense competition of the game.

Overall Hoover high school has vowed to support students in their decisions to protest against or for social issues with open arms to catch us when we fall.