Eating Disorders: the mind games

Students speak out against eating disorders

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eating Disorders: the mind games

Emma O'Neal, Staff

According to the Emily Program Foundation (EPF), eating disorders affect up to 30 million Americans and 70 million individuals worldwide.

For some people it’s a daily struggle just to eat food. Skipping meals, throwing up, playing mind games, and weighing yourself constantly. That’s what their lives are about, a serious illness.

“When I was little, I was bullied because of my body while other girls got compliments. I wanted to be like them,” sophomore Persephone Snyder said.

It’s hard to have people say rude things, especially at a young age, and to not do something about it.

“I was twelve years old and I was eating zero to one meal a day and it went on for two and a half years,” Snyder said. “I would hide food, tell my parents I didn’t feel good, go to my room, and just didn’t take food I was offered.”

Eventually things start to take their toll and can affect a person’s body in extreme measures.

“I was a swimmer but it was difficult because I would almost pass out. I would also get light headed, have blurry vision, and I could literally feel my intestines hurting,” Snyder said.

Snyder had some good friends around her and thankfully they helped her in drastic ways.

“My friend (sophomore) Hailey Conklin convinced me to tell my parents when I was in 8th grade,” she said. “I took them into the bathroom and told them what had been going on. Then I stood on the scale and showed my parents my weight (103 pounds). My parents got upset with themselves but they understood my point.”

EPF states that typically, people with Anorexia Nervosa are 15% underweight. Snyder was 13% under her normal weight at 101 pounds.

“My parents became more cautious and involved in my life. I became more open with my boyfriend (senior) James Munoz and that helped our relationship become stronger and he helped out a lot,” she said.

It can still be hard to get through things even if you have people there for you but you have to take what you can get.

“You can’t completely get through it but I allow and force myself to get better. I still am a lot weaker, I struggle to keep up, I have a weak immune system but I do feel stronger,” she said.

Sometimes it’s hard to be strong because society is pushing you down and it’s hard to get out from that.

“I was 14 years old and society and pressure was in my way. It lasted for a couple of months but I just ate less because of all the stress and pressure. I would tell my parents I already ate and I would just get away from everything,” sophomore Wanessa Cadick said.

It takes a while to get over the harshness of society because it’s constant and everywhere.

“I usually eat 2 two small meals a day but I just eat because I have to, not because I want to,” Cadick said.

Cadick found an outlet that was safer and much more sufficient, having to do with music.

“I just helped myself through it, and music helped me by making me happier,” she said. “I don’t feel stronger but I hope to get there someday.”

Sometimes you just have to let go and be who you are.

“Surprisingly, I love myself more than I ever have before,” Snyder said. “I’m really very happy. This is something that you can get through. Love life. It’s better to be strong today.”