A little more homework

Co-editor in chief reflects on a successful musical

Lily Smith, Co-editor in chief

For about eight weeks, 60+ students and I worked on a show called 13. We performed in the auditorium the first weekend in November. I speak only as the Assistant Stage Manager who has little to no actual theater or stage experience.

But for eight weeks, I spent my afternoons from 3-6 p.m. taking notes, filling up people’s water bottles and listening to the same few songs over and over again. This was me dipping my toe in the ocean that is theater, spending time with people I liked, and doing a little something new with my high school experience.

But less than an hour before closing night, senior dedications happened. Senior dedications are when a few people in the drama department speak about how a senior impacted their lives, memories with them, etc. It’s a big sob fest if you get the right people in the room.

While my senior dedications were beautiful, (special thanks to seniors Lizzie Turner and Linda Brown, and Meredith 7th grader Julieana Munoz for the kind words on my behalf) I wanted to highlight in this Editor’s Corner that some of the best senior dedications came from people nowhere close to their senior year or the senior to which they dedicated the show.

These things didn’t matter at the slightest, because the words they said brought them closer both mentally and physically. (If you don’t like hugging… this isn’t the place for you.) These dedications consisted of younger students letting seniors know how the first time they met them was the reason they’re still in drama or that their job is notably under appreciated but that doesn’t make it any less important.

And through my tears and puffy eyes, I realized something. That as much as we choose our own path, how people treat us can steer us one way or another. I learned first impressions can be incredibly important, not only because it shows not only of you, but of your organization. It bodes well for Hoover Drama that Meredith students can’t wait for their freshman year to be able to get involved in shows again.

But when a group of girls come up to me crying, telling me that they’re so sad the show is over because they’ll miss us and that that they think I’m the coolest person in the world (their words, not mine.) I’ve never felt so good. I’m thinking about the 13 year old me and how I would’ve never imagined myself being so well-liked, especially if it’s by 12 year old girls.

I never really realized how important it was to be yourself in the world. I knew that it’s important because it’s you and why would you want to pretend to be someone else, but if you put your best foot forward and you show that you being welcoming or you being serious about your craft is who you are, people catch on really quickly and people may really look up to you for that reason.

Or maybe it’s because you’re funny and you’re really good at lip syncing backstage during the show. That may or may not be why people liked me so much.

Regardless of why I’m popular with people between the ages of 12-14, I learned that opening my true self up to others more helps them learn to do it too. Now that I’m preaching, I must practice my own words. I guess I have a little more homework to do.