What Is Beauty?

Beauty has no definition outside the dictionary

Emily Davis, Staff

What is beauty?

Webster defines beauty as “the qualities in a person or a thing that give pleasure to the senses or the mind.” Notice it says nothing about physical beauty. So why are people considered beautiful based on their physical features while others are not?

Some people are just more developed at this age. We’ve all seen pictures of gorgeous 14 year olds who look 20, while if you look at a picture of me when I was 14, you’d probably be blinded by the sight of unhidden acne and unmanageable hair. What happened to the “awkward stage” where everyone’s bodies were changing, and no one had any idea what to do with themselves? Do teens just develop faster as they get younger? Or do they just become more self-conscience? What middle-schooler needs a contouring kit? Why can’t they break out that glittery eye shadow, and three-shades-too-dark foundation, and go back to the way things were!?

Some of what makes a person beautiful is make-up and how it’s applied. Based off of many YouTube videos I’ve watched, the average daily make-up routine goes wash your face, apply lotion/ moisturizer, BB cream, foundation, concealer, bronzer, contour, blush, transparent/face powder, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, and finally, chap stick, lip gloss or lipstick. And that’s just to maintain a regular appearance at school. Do too much, you look like a melting clown and do not enough, and you could be exposing acne or unsightly sun spots.

Apparently, the more effort you put into your appearance, the more beautiful you become, but if it’s obvious that you tried too hard, and you put too much effort into you’re appearance, it works against your favor. You become “high maintenance.” It takes a lot of practice and maintaince to keep up a “happy middle.”

Personality is also a factor. Some of the most beautiful people tend to have the worst issues. Between self-loathing, egotism and arrogance, as well as depression and anxiety. Many problems faced by the average person, but intensified by the stress of maintaining their “beauty.” No one wants to talk about their issues and take away from their “beauty” or “perfection” which is a reason many of these issues go unresolved. Probably one of the factors of why many models get caught up in drugs and other detergents is they are trying to mask their pain and anxiety.

But there are people who may not be the most attractive who have hearts of gold. There is an old joke when trying to describe someone’s physical beauty, and instead saying “You have a wonderful personality” – implying they’re not attractive at all.

Why is it that they don’t go hand In hand?

Why can’t someone beautiful have a heart of gold? Or an unattractive person have an unattractive personality?

Unfortunately, I can’t say I’ve never been affected by this stereotype. There was a time when I refused to make friends with certain people because they were “attractive,” and I automatically assumed they had ugly personalities. And in turn, I made friends with “unattractive” people, assuming they were good people. Later finding that neither were true.

Granted there are beautiful people with unattractive personalities, while they’re also non-attractive people with hearts of gold.

I believe it’s just a matter of how we as people treat each other. If people just treated each other with love and respect the world could just be a beautiful place, and we wouldn’t need stereotypes to decide who is beautiful and who isn’t.