No Pain , No Gain

Injuries on the court

nick johnson, staff

No pain, no gain

Nicholas Johnson

Everyone wants to drop 30 points a night on the basketball court or have four to five touchdowns under those Friday Night lights but, in just seconds, one wrong move and you are hurt. Sitting out the whole season when you could be making an impact and trying to bring home a trophy is rough.

This summer, a teammate and I were injured. We went up to Iowa City for a team camp in the middle on June. We played three games throughout the day. It was during the first game we played. We competed against Linnmar. It was during the second half on a fast break lead by our point guard Kenny Quinn. He passed the ball up court to me and it was a one-on-one. I was trying to score so I jump stopped in front of the defender, then fell to the floor feeling a loud pop in my left knee. My left knee swelled up two times as big as my right knee. Coach and the ref walked me off the court. I was barely walking without some type of pain. I could not bend my leg either, I did not even play the last two games, but we still won all three games. I was very angry when the doctor told me I couldn’t play this season and that I would have to sit out the whole year.

Treadwell tore his ACL and meniscus playing basketball this summer during open gym. Treadwell was at an open gym and got his right leg taken out playing defense, a few weeks before me. “I just thought it was dislocated, nothing major,” sophomore Hosea Treadwell said. Now him and myself will have to sit out and watch. This means we cannot help our team fight for the state championship we have been waiting and working hard for.

Everyone is aware and heard the saying “no pain, no gain.” Is that really the case? Injuries are not something you want to mess around with. You do not want to return too fast and rush it.

More than 3.5 million injuries occur each year according hopkinsmedicine.org. ACL and meniscus recovery time is 8 to 12 months. Returning to pre-injury condition with full range of motion and stability in the knee joint. Said by blog.houstonmethodist.org.

“Physical therapy be killing my knee”. Treadwell said. Physical therapy helps with making your knee stronger and back to normal. It also takes time. Doing the same stuff for weeks can be a grueling process.

The progress begins to start every two to four weeks. I go to physical therapy three times a week, but since I am progressing well, I am cutting down to only twice a week.

The future is still bright for us Huskies. Coming short in the boys’ basketball state tournament two years in a row, we want to win this year. Being number two in the state with few numbers is going to be difficult to get number one, but if we work hard, we will get there. Hosea and myself will not be playing this season but will still be on the bench watching and supporting as the Huskies make it back to Wells to fight for the championship.