The Road to Glory

The Journey to the Blue Oval

Marcus+Baye+and+Dichon+Francis+running+the+4x200+meter+relay+
Marcus Baye and Dichon Francis running the 4x200 meter relay

Domique Wright, Sports Editor

The Huskies track team is looking to dominate at Drake Relays and the State meet. The huskies were 18th in the drake relays track meet last year in the 4×100 meter relay. They also had a return runner on the girls team Mabel Kouh who qualified for the 100 meter dash at drake. They also competed in the 4×200 , 1600 relays and more at the State track meet and they are looking to return in those events but even better with results.

Sophomore Mabel Kouh is looking to have a big improvement in those meets and she’s been working all offseason to improve her running and technical skills.

“I want to improve my skills from last year and compete better at the Drake relays. I’ve been working on my start so I can get my time faster”, Kouh said.

Kouh has got a lot of help from her coaches and want her team to work hard so they improve their times and skills. She believes that it’s very important to do well at those big events because she doesn’t want to let her team down.

On The other Side for the boys Junior Marcus Baye for the boys track team is a huge part of it. He’s looking to make a huge impact on the track team this year.

Baye is a returning state and drake relays qualifier and is looking to improve his times and compete at the best of his abilities.

“I’m working hard every day with the team and I’m trying to listen to my coaches because they know what’s best. Eat right get right”, Baye said.

Baye is really looking to step up and take charge in the relays because his team looks up to him to do his best in the 4×100 because he is the fastest guy on the team. Teammate’s Dichon Francis and Elliot Anderson are also on the 4×100.

I feel like my team counts on me to do the best I can because those relays are important so I work hard to get faster so I am able to compete at the best of my abilities”, Baye said.

These leaders on the girls and boys track team are looking to get multiple events into Drake Relays and the State meet. They already have qualified in multiple events they’re just looking to get those times lower to compete with even more teams in the state.