Bon Voyage, Vine

After 4 years and millions of users, Vine is shutting down

Sabina Idriz, Managing Editor

In 2012, Vine was created. Now, in 2016, it’s on the chopping block.

Vine is an app where anyone can create and upload videos, or watch them. There’s one thing really separating it from other video platforms like YouTube; the videos can only be six seconds. Before it even got the chance to launch in the App Store, Twitter caught wind of it and bought the app for $30 million. Soon enough, it became a frequently used social network.

Social networks have been around for a long time – from the outdated MySpace, to Instagram which holds over 500 million active monthly users.

“I think the appeal of social media is to learn and do new, cool stuff and meet people,” sophomore Rhiannon Brown said.

Vine was used by comedians, artists, and anyone inspired to create and connect with others. It had a great start, but things began getting rocky. According to TechCrunch, Vine hasn’t had a spot on the top Entertainment apps charts since 2015, and is ranked number 284 among all of the free iOS apps.

Perhaps the problems started back when Instagram implemented a new feature – video uploading. The videos could initially be fifteen seconds, which was still over twice as long as a Vine. Now, minute-long videos can be posted by anyone on Instagram, and Vine still has the limit of six seconds.

“Instagram video was the beginning of the end,” a former executive of Vine told The Verge.

The announcement that Vine was being scrapped came in late October and shocked many.

“We’ll… work hard to do this the right way,” Vine’s official statement read.

Some weren’t as surprised, and felt they had seen this coming.

“They’re not making enough revenue off of it, so they’re killing it,” sophomore Hannah Talcott said.

People will still miss Vine. Perhaps the most affected will be ‘Vine stars’ – the users who had the largest following and millions of viewers. Some turned their Vine creations into a career, and held meet-ups with their fans. Thomas Sanders’ six-second comedy sketches led to him getting millions of followers and a Teen Choice Award.

“I feel like something else will come out. You can’t just take away Vine without a better version popping up. For some reason a lot of people actually liked Vine, and they’re pretty mad,” Brown said.