Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People

Cons of Gun Control

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaitlin Hensley, Staff

Imagine yourself in your home in the middle of the night while your little sister lays sleeping in her bed, when an armed intruder enters your home. Would you rather surrender to that individual who may have intentions of hurting you or your family or take control of the situation by having a firearm accessible and the proper training to protect your family?

Gun control is a pressing subject for many Americans. As a citizen of the United States you have the right to bear arms under the 2nd Amendment. I do not believe that the government should ever have the right to take guns from law abiding citizens. I am a strong believer that guns are only as dangerous as the people operating them.

Beginning at seven years of age, my father took me to the shooting range.  He took me here not to learn how to hunt, but how to protect myself.   It is very important that I am capable of protecting myself and those around me because I do not want to be the victim of another human being’s lapse in judgment.

I want to have more than protection of myself by carrying a gun, I want to have control of the situation.  Most times when things go bad it is because the wrong person gained control of the situation. Having the gun allows me the control.

My ideal gun control policy would allow all U.S. citizens without a criminal record and no mental illness to be allowed to own a firearm. Mental illnesses and criminal records should prevent people from purchasing any type of gun for the safety of themselves and the people around them. The citizens with a criminal record or mental health issues are either incapable of or already abused privileges and lost the trust of the public. These individuals should not be allowed to own a firearm because of their circumstances.

A permit to carry or a concealed carry permit is important to discuss because we are no longer talking about a gun in your home but a gun on your person almost everywhere you go. I still believe Americans should have this right because it is their right to protect themselves and their family not just in the home, but wherever they go. The popular farce “It is not guns that kill people but people that kill people” I believe wonderfully supports my opinion that people should have the right to protect themselves. No matter where we go because there will always be dangerous people everywhere.

I disagree with the pro gun control movements because no matter how many laws that are put in place to keep guns out of people’s hands, it will never keep them away from the criminals. Criminals don’t follow laws hence why they are labeled criminals and will always find ways to get their hands on fire arms if they choose to do so. By putting laws in place to remove guns from citizens homes the government would not only be violating the people’s constitutional right but make them less safe by removing their means of protection. I do not want to live in a world where I can not protect myself.

I agree with Ronald Reagan, “You won’t get gun control by charming law-abiding citizens. There i9s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and criminal, lock them up and if you can’t actually throw away the key, at least loose it for a long time. It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know from personal experience.”

If things don’t start changing, innocent American’s are going to lose their constitutional rights, and more people are going to die because guns were in the hands of the wrong people.