Ashton’s Ambitions

A dedicated and determined senior's journey.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ashton’s Ambitions

Sabina Idriz, Managing Editor

Ashton Johnson is a senior who knows what his dreams are. He puts his all into cheer, drama and rugby. His peers definitely look up to him; Johnson is hardworking, determined and passionate about his activities. An aspiring future coach, he won’t let the possibility of failure stop him from trying anything.

Do you consider yourself a self-starter? Why or why not?

Yes. I do things on my own, I like to figure things out for myself and learn from my own mistakes. I feel like it’s a lot more efficient for me.

In your own words, what does it mean to be independent?

To successfully do something on your own.

What does it mean to be a team player?

To be a leader. To have the same goals as the people around you.

How well do you think you work under pressure? Why?

I work very well under pressure. Since I was really really young, my dad has always kind of forced that upon me and it’s one of the best things that could’ve happened to me, because then when it matters most you know that you’ll succeed.

What motivates you?

Failure. I don’t like to make mistakes, that’s one of my fears, but everything could end up either two ways – it works or it doesn’t work, and I want to do everything I can to make sure something works out.

What are you passionate about?

Rugby and cheerleading.

How did you get involved in those activities?

I grew up playing soccer and I loved how there was a constant flow to it, but it wasn’t physical enough. Then my friend Haris, he played rugby, so I got interested and he showed me what it was about and it was the perfect blend of the physicality and flow. Cheerleading was a different story, it sounded fun. Like, how cool could it be? In basketball games especially, they were so close to the student section – and their stunts and stuff, it was mindblowing how amazing their stunts were.

What is your greatest academic weakness? What do you struggle with?

I don’t have very much motivation academically. I’m motivated in the things that I’m interested in or passionate about, but if I’m not interested there’s not much drive for me.

Would you rather do something just to get it done, or do it with the intent of doing it well?

Doing it with the intent of doing it well. It goes back to how I don’t like to fail and make mistakes.

How do you define the term ‘quality’?

Something done to the point that whoever is doing it is proud of it. You might not think it’s the nicest thing but if I am proud of it that’s quality to me.

Do you plan to join any clubs?

In college I plan to join the rugby team, and I’m probably gonna eventually miss cheer and go back to it.

What are some of your fears? Hopes? Dreams?

I’m afraid of making mistakes and being alone. I don’t really hope for anything because if I really want something I’ll do it… I hope I’ll continue to live that way. I wanna be a coach, at least at some point in my life.

Who are your role models? People you look up to or think are cool?

I don’t have any.

Who or what do you aspire to be?

A coach, eventually.

Why do you want to be a coach?

A lot of times coaches have been very influential people to me and they have been like the messenger, so to say, of me reaching this passion and being part of this passion – they’re a huge key in that. I always looked up to my coaches.

What comes easy to you?

Taking risks, because the whole opportunity only comes once so take advantage of it. There’s this excitement when I don’t know anything about what I’m getting into.

Is taking risks always worth it?

Always. Like Wayne Gretsky said, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

Do you have any regrets in life?

I always try to tell myself, don’t regret anything because at that moment you knew what you wanted. Regret is like, “Oh, I wish I would’ve made this decision,” but you have to respect yourself and respect the decision you made at that time.