The Lane’s on the track

Coach, teacher, husband. These are the three things that describe science teacher Vincent Lane. Lane also coaches girls cross country and is the assistant track Coach for distance. Lane went of University of Florida for graduate school and it was there that he was introduced to teaching. He’s been at hoover for 4 years.

Kassandra Claytor, staff

Q: Do you enjoy teaching? Why?

A: Yes!  I enjoy helping people. I like when I can help someone learn something they didn’t know/understand previously.

Q: What are the qualities of an excellent teacher?

A: You have to care, be patient, be good at what you do, and help people reach an understanding of the subject matter.  Just because you know it, doesn’t mean you are good at explaining it!

Q: How do you encourage students to do their best?

A: I spend time outside the classroom going to their various activities so that I can see them doing things they love.  I can then look for ways help them transfer that to the classroom.

Q: What inspirational quote means a lot to you?

A: “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they’ve been given, than to explore the power they have to change it.  Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary.  Impossible is nothing.”

Q: What do you want to be doing in 5 years? What activities do you teach outside of teaching?

A: Probably retired, living in a warm climate with my wife, but still helping/teaching/assisting people. We love movies, serving the community in some way & traveling.