Candid Colby

This senior juggles running a newspaper, academics, athletics and more.

Sabina Idriz, Managing Editor

Colby Williams has had her fair share of trials and tribulations on the way to her graduation. A senior now, she skipped a grade to get to where she is today, never letting it set her back. Williams already has plans for college and is preparing for a future career in what she’s passionate about.

“Next year I’m going to be attending Wartburg College. It was a really, really, really long process… it ultimately came down to the scholarships I wanted and needed and the neuroscience professor that I met at Wartburg – she was awesome,” Williams said.

A major in a degree takes discipline and hard work to acquire, but Williams is set on getting two. She plans to double major in neuroscience and psychology. In addition, she is going to minor in Spanish.

“My dad has epilepsy so the brain is always something that’s fascinated me since a young age. I want to go into a field where I can discover different cures and just find out more about the brain than we already know because it’s such a mysterious organ in our body. It really helps to be bilingual in the medical field, I want to travel and do missions around the world and Spanish is one of the most popular languages so [the minor] will be really helpful,” Williams said.

Though she has been bouncing back and forth in the career options in the neuroscience field, right now she’s looking at the research aspect of it and the many different pathways she could take with that.

Williams is dedicated to improving the lives of people with disabilities – she describes it as her biggest passion.

“With my dad having seizures I had to see him go through that and take care of him when I was still a child… I don’t want parents to have to experience that, I don’t want children to have to watch their parents or their siblings experience that,” Williams said.

Williams has played on the volleyball team and the soccer team for 3 years, retiring from the latter this year. She has been in Best Buddies for 2 years and was in the Academic Decathlon this year, achieving second place overall in the speech category at the District competition and second place overall in the interview category at State.

She has also been the Co Editor in Chief of The Challenger for 1 year, after being the Managing Editor last year. Together with Emma O’Neal, a senior and her fellow Co-Editor, every issue of the newspaper is carefully planned out so the end product is as good as it can get.

“Most days it feels like a lot of planning and I have to do a lot of it. I’m thankful for my people – Emma and Sabina [Idriz, junior] – us three kind of run the show,” Williams said.

Her road to becoming an Editor started when Mrs. Hamilton suggested that she join the Newspaper staff, and she quickly learned what the production of each issue takes.

“I think last year I just kind of put myself into a position where I was like, ‘Hey, I’d be good at this’ and they agreed, and so I kind of initiated myself into becoming a Managing Editor and Mrs. Hamilton this year chose me to be a Co-Editor. I feel like that’s a lesson for life, you’re not gonna get anything you want unless you put your foot forward first and initiate conversations with important people,” Williams said.

Williams is grateful to her friends for supporting her throughout the years. Seniors Pryce Johnson, Max Tensen, Ashton Johnson, and Emma Burriola are some of the people who mean the most to her. She is also grateful to her boyfriend, senior Dana Onley.

“My friends have stuck by my side since 8th grade and friends these days, that’s not a common trait that they have, and it’s one of the things that I’m most appreciative of. Dana came into my life at a really weird time because I was helping someone else go through one of the hardest times in their life, and so I wasn’t able to spend a lot of time with him at the beginning. Even though I was stressed he still stayed with me and made sure I was always happy, healthy and having fun and having someone who can be that person for you can make a really big difference in terms of stressful times,” Williams said.

When Williams walks out after her graduation ceremony, she will be one step closer to achieving her ambitions and improving people’s lives.