Risks on the Road

Some tips on staying safe while driving during the winter.

Robert Bodiroga, Design Editor

Driving during the winter is one of the most dangerous things in the world, according to safewinterroads.org. More than 116,000 Americans are injured and over 1,300 are killed on snowy, slushy or icy pavement every winter.

“Being in an accident is kind of a surreal experience. I was a lot more aware of what was going on than I would have expected, it was kind of like time slowed down for a minute,” Hoover alumni Brett Norris said.

During the school year the risks are increasingly high because of all the traffic between students. Another thing should watch out for is the slick cement which can lead to an accident especially in crowded areas, for example the hoover parking lot.

“The biggest thing is to slow down, drive for the conditions that you are in, pay attention to yourself and your surroundings. For the kids who have only been driving for one or two years; just put down your cell phone and focus on safety, another thing is to make sure you have your car registration and your insurance with you so when I ask you for it you don’t look at me like I spoke a foreign language,” school resource officer Natale Chiodo said.

Even if you don’t think that you are prone to an accident it’s always best to stay safe to make sure that the slightest possibility of an accident is prevented. Here are some tips given by safetyinsurance.com –

• Slowing down – Slowing down is a good way to create distance from you and the driver in front of you to decrease the risk of you giving a fender bender or possibly worse.
  • Allowing greater distance – Allowing distance is a safety measure so that you don’t have to break as hard thus preventing skid which can lead to an accident on the icy/slush pavement.
  • Visibility – Visibility is a big key to driving so you can see what’s coming before its too late, a way you can help your visibility during the winter and frosty weather is to turn on your headlights and clean the snow or frost off of your windows/windshield wipers so you can be prepared for what’s next.

Drive safe!